BANKS was named to reflect the building's history:
The first Bank in
Queenscliff operated next door at 76 Hesse Street which was built in the early 1870's. By
this time most of the shops in Hesse Street had been built.
Bank at 76 Hesse St in 1877
The Bank of
Victoria was opened on the 1st March 1873 by Manager George B Cathcart. He was
manager until 1882.
The opening of the
Railway down to Queenscliff led to much development in the town. The prominent buildings
we see today all appeared within a few years.
A new Bank was
erected to the south at 78 Hesse Street. The Bank of Victoria moved into
the new building and operated there until it was demolished in the twentieth century.
[Note: The Bank of Victoria collapsed in 1991.]
The original Bank building remains at 76 Hesse Street and has hosted a variety of
businesses. It has been a Pharmacy, Hardware/Nursury and is today a Cafe.
Bank now at 78 Hesse St
Plans were drawn up
for a new Bank at 78 Hesse Street. This included the Bank and residence for the Manager.
NAB in 1990
By 1990 the Bank was
occupied by the National Australia Bank.
By 1998 the building
had been sold and plans approved for the residence to be converted into Banks Bed
& Breakfast. The Bank had been converted into 2 shops fronting Hesse Street.
The National Australia Bank had moved and the Bendigo Bank occupied the
larger of the 2 shops. [Note: The Bendigo Bank moved across the road in 2008.]
& Breakfast attained a 4½ star rating while it was operated. It was sold in
2007 when the owners retired. It is now available as Banks Accommodation
providing self contained accommodation for groups.